July 2020 - Editorial on Sentinel biopsy by Sam Zagarella
COVID-19 - ACCO suspends programs for 2020
- All ACCO programs including workshops scheduled for April and July 2020 have been postponed until 2021.
- The Essentials workshop will now take place on Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 April 2021
- The Dermoscopy workshop will now take place on Sunday 25 and Monday 26 April 2021
- The Combined Essentials and Dermoscopy workshops can be completed back to back on April 24 / 25 / 26 2021
- The Flap and Graft workshop will now take place over the five days: June 11-15th 2021 (including Queens Birthday weekend)
- The Face and Ear Reconstruction workshop will now take place 30 October to 1 November 2021
- The 1-Day Dermatopathology workshop will now take place Tuesday 2 November 2021.
ACCO will provide full refunds to all registrants who were hoping to attend our workshops in 2020.
You may also choose to defer your course fee to 2021.
For more information, please contact us at [email protected]
COVID - 19 Do I need to alter my skin cancer management?
As of May 20, 2020, ACCO recommends:
- Limit skin cancer checks to patients with a past history of skin cancer or marked actinic damage.
- Using gloves and hand washing is essential before and after each skin check.
- Polarised dermoscopy allows no contact between patient and instrument. This can be an advantage in these situations.
- Delay procedures to manage minor lesions and indolent skin cancers including SCC in situ and superficial BCCs.
- Surgery for wide local excision of melanoma, invasive SCC, or other BCCs should not be delayed on this basis alone.
- Consider reception triaging patients need for skin checks. Low risk patients can be asked to book at a later date.
- Any patient unwell with upper respiratory symptoms and / or fever should have a skin check deferred and should be advised to contact their local GP for advice on COVID testing, as guidelines vary between states.
ACCO understands that COVID 19 has affected all our programs in 2020. The impact in 2021 is unknown. At this stage, We plan to run all events as per normal. If COVID interferes, all registrants will receive a full refund of any registrations paid.
ACCO CRITICAL OF DRAFT WIKI GUIDELINES ON BCC & SCC
Your ACCO academic team continue to publish research in skin cancer.
Recent publications from the ACCO team are as follows :
- Nirenberg A, Steinman H, Dixon J, et al. Merkel cell carcinoma update: the case for two tumours. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2020:34:1425-1431
- Nirenberg A, Steinman H, Dixon A, Melanoma Extravascular Migratory Metastasis: An Important Underrecognized Phenomenon. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2020
- Nirenberg A, Steinman H, Dixon J, et al. Merkel cell carcinoma update: the case for two tumours. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2019.
- Dixon AJ, Dixon ZL, Anderson S, et al. Management of invasive melanoma. Aust J Gen Pract 2019;48:368-372.
- Dixon AJ, Anderson S, Dixon JB, et al. Cutaneous melanoma: Latest developments. Aust J Gen Pract 2019;48:348-353.